Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tasting Australia


You know what was on last week in Adelaide? No, not the Spandau Ballet concert, silly, that was  20 years ago, 2 weeks ago. It was the biennial food, wine and beverage festival - Tasting Australia!  It is an 8-day event but we only went to one event last Saturday. Gosh, it was fun.

It was held at the Elder Park along the banks of the Torrens River on a beautiful, beautiful autumn day. Entrance was free (another plus). We went there with a couple of good friends and we planned to have some wine tasting, try out the produce from differenent parts of Australia, maybe see some of the celebrity chefs do their cooking demonstrations. In short to eat,drink and be merry.

We first tried the farmed fresh water barramundi from Robe, South Australia. They cooked it two ways, one was with Panko bread crumbs and theother one was just seasoned it salt and pepper. It disappeared before I remembered to take a photo. Since we were eating fish from Robe, we had it with a sparkling white from the same region. Well, actually we did not really plan it that way. It was just their stalls were next to each other , so why not?

I also made my husband buy me this fried potato spiral:
It was fried and salty. I was in junk food heaven. But I do not know what it is called.


But wait, it gets better. My husband managed to get inside the tent where they are having cooking demonstrations even if they said in their press release that this particular show with Masterchef finalists, Poh Ling Yeow and Andre Ursini, was already full. And  then, he got to be the taster of the the food they were cooking! (And where was I? I was outside waiting for my wood oven pizza to cook!) When I eventually got into the tent the show was wrapping up. So when the show ended we went up the stage and my friends and I also got to taste the most delicious polenta dish ever. Andre Ursini made this polenta with gorgonzola cheese and black truffles. It was so good. Sorry no photos of that either as they want people to clear as soon as they can to get ready for the next show. We left only after we had our photos taken with Poh. If I show this photo to my friends, they probably go, "Who's she?" Hahaha! Que ver.

Then we just sat on a blanket listening to live music while drinking our wine and eating and just people watching. And me spilling the wine everywhere.

the jazz band

the latino band  

And here are more shots from that day.












I can not wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for dropping by!