Friday, February 19, 2010

asian chicken noodle soup for the soul

I've been meaning to start this blog for more than a month now but can not seem to decide what to write about first. Until my husband came home from work earlier this week sick with colds. I decided to make him some chicken noodle soup because it's supposed to be good for you when you have colds. This recipe although Asian, is from my husband who is not the Asian in this house. He first made this for me when I was the one who was sick. I love this soup because (a) I love the fresh taste of ginger,(b) it is a good way to use up your left over roast chicken and (c) it is so easy make!




What you need:
  • peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
  • ginger, coarsely chopped (depends on how ginger-y you want this to be)
  • 3-4 gloves garlic, chopped
  • couple of coriander roots, scrubbed well (optional)
  • about 400 grams of chicken, cut into strips (left over roast chicken will do)
  • one liter of chicken stock
  • 500 grams fresh Hookien noodles
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups bean sprouts
  • coriander, chopped

How you do it:
  1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
  2. Fry the ginger and garlic (coriander roots, if using) until fragrant.
  3. Fry the chicken until slightly browned.
  4. Pour in your chicken stock.
  5. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Simmer for a few minutes (until the stock is heated through).
  7. Add the noodles and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
  8. Add the bean sprouts. Cook for about a minute (or less, like what my husband does).
  9. Sprinkle chopped fresh coriander before serving.

4 big serves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for dropping by!