What you need:
chicken thighs or legs
brown onion (or shallots),chopped
cloves garlic, finely chopped
sprite or 7-up (or beer)
freshly ground black pepper
- Make the marinade by mixing the soy sauce, onion (or shallots), garlic, pepper, sprite, brown sugar and kechup (if using).
- Marinate chicken in the marinade for at least an hour.
- Thread the chicken in thick wooden skewers, if you want (or have them).
- Grill (in an open charcoal fire is best but grilling them in the BBQ, like I did, will do).
- Baste the chicken from time to time using the marinade.
- Serve with spiced vinegar and/or soy sauce,calamansi and fresh chili dip.
Of course this is best eaten with rice and achara (green papaya pickle salad).
My mum's variation:
*Use balsamic vinegar instead of soy sauce.
*Can also omit the onions.